When we take on a new client for Google Adwords, one of the first things we need to do is talk them through how to add/set up their billing details into the system, ready for when the account goes live. This blog post is a basic step by step tutorial on exactly how to do this, to help our clients and anyone else starting off on the journey into using Adwords as a marketing channel.
- First of all go to Google Adwords here: https://adwords.google.com
You will need to login to Google with either your company Google account, if you have one, or your own Google Account. Don’t worry, more people can be added to help manage Adwords accounts later, and if necessary ownership of the Adwords account can be changed later too. But for now, the account needs to be ‘owned’ by someone, which is why you need to be logged in. You can see if you are logged in by what is shown in the top right-hand corner, here:
- Once logged in, you need to go into the billing section by clicking on the grey cog wheel in the top right-hand corner and selecting ‘Billing’ from the drop down, like this
- Next select ‘Australia’ from the country box (or whichever country you are located in), and click continue.
- Then complete your Business details and primary contact information, I would suggest adding the owner of the business as the contact person. They won’t need to do anything, it just means they are the main contact for the account.
- Enter in your Credit card details. The ‘Automatic payments’ option will already be selected, which is perfect. This means whenever the balance runs low, Google will automatically take the specified amount from the credit card to keep your adverts running. Don’t worry, because we set up a daily spend limit as part of the advertising options, (or you will be able to do this if you are setting up the Google Adwords campaigns yourself) so we will never spend more than the amount we have agreed on. However the exact date of the payment each month may change, which is normal.
- Ensure you select ‘English (Australia)’ from the Billing language drop down box (or the appropriate language)
- Tick ‘Yes I agree to the terms and conditions’
- Click on the blue ‘Complete’ button